Custom Challenge

Kitchen "Before"​​

Click on any image to view  larger​​

My client and her family had outgrown their kitchen dinette set.  This eat-in kitchen was also the only dining are in the home. She needed something more functional and  also wanted  something more fitting with their style. 

Inspirational Pieces

She had this framed Matisse poster of "The Red Room" hanging in the dinette area . This was a piece that she really loved and we took color inspirations from this.
They bought  and installed this  green vintage light  when they bought the house.  Green is the client's  favorite color.
This antique buffet and hutch belonged to her aunt.  I loved the warm mahogany tones in this piece.

The "CHallenge"

​​ My client purchased this used corner banquet and table. It was in pretty rough shape, but it was solid wood. She wanted a set of chairs instead of a bench. I found a set of four chairs outside on her patio that she was not using. They were pretty dirty and had black vinyl seats, but were solid wood (and free).

Kitchen "After"​​

The banquet  and table base were cleaned,  repaired,  sanded, primed, painted with  chalk paint made from Valspar's Kabuki Clay, and then sealed with polyurethane for durability.  The teal  wall was painted  in Valspar's Simply Green and  the yellow walls were painted in Valspar's Dove White to match the existing white cabinets and trim.
I constructed pillows and cushions for the banquet. Drawing inspiration from the Matisse, we chose this lovely fabric print. As the client has two small children, this fabric is a durable indoor/outdoor fabric and has been prewashed and was later Scotchgarded. These can also be zipped off and washed or changed, should the need arise. Choosing a coordinating light green fabric makes these reversible. Black welding and covered buttons add more detail and interest.
Orignially, the idea was to paint these chairs, however, after cleaning them, I realized that they were a beautiful teak and it was agreed that they be refinished. I used a Miniwax Red Mahogany stain and sealed with polyurethane. 
This table top was very stained and  even warped in places. Eventually it was decided to stain the this to match the beloved aunt's buffet and the teak chairs. I used several coats of Miniwax Red Mahogany. I then used Unicorn Spit in  Midnight Black to  simulate wood grain in  areas where the wood was repaired.  This was finished off with a Famowood epoxy pour. Finally, the finish was hand rubbed with various progressive grits of sandpaper and waxed with  Caranauba car wax.
CustomIzed
This shows some of the varied custom work done by Angela's Accents.